Technology Features & Specifications
Unlike a standard incinerator, this solution does not burn but gasifies waste and biomass – which can be dust and sawdust, shavings, pieces of wood and chips, sewage sludge and pulp. The synthesis gas produced then burns at very high temperatures, which can eliminate harmful chemical compounds that are usually present in the flue gas from incineration plants.
The energy of hot flue gases passes on to waste heat boilers, which heat up silicon oil and sets in motion turbines that are connected to turbogenerators. A silent turbine engine is used to generate electricity, instead of a power generator with a piston engine which can be noisy. As the thermal oil used in the system boils at low temperatures that are slightly higher than ambient temperature, the entire energy production process takes place at safe and low temperatures.
A typical installation can generate 1.0 to 1.2 MWe electricity using 1.25 Mg/h biomass with a heating value of 4.4 MWh/Mg.
The installation is equipped with a flue gas cleaning system and chimney that reduces the ecological discharge of flue gases. In addition, the installation has an automatic ash removal system which allows the combustion of fuels with low calorific value and with large amounts of ash. In addition, the fuel feeding and combustion process is controlled automatically based on information obtained from fuel presence and heat demand sensors.
In terms of electrical efficiency, the installation can achieve the following:
- 20 - 21% for waste biomass
- 24 - 29% for mixed municipal waste
- 40% for waste plastic
The energy produced can be used to:
- Heat rooms
- Produce steam for use in restaurants and hotels
- Power for industrial cold stores for storing agricultural products
- Generate electricity
This installation is able to offer the following benefits:
- Simplified combustion process: Fuel can be mixed and does not require costly and complicated preparation for combustion process
- Low noise: The quiet turbine engine used for power generation results in substantial noise reduction
- Does not require external power supply: This allows the installation to be located in the middle of a field or in densely populated areas
- Fully automated and almost maintenance free
- Environmentally friendly: Installation includes gas safety systems and flue gas cleaning system; operation of the electrical unit on low temperatures; automatic security systems installed on all components and devices
- No additional waste: Added option to process dust and ashes which are trapped in the installation into a hydroponic bed and to convert ash by-product into fertilizer
- Investment payback period is estimated to be in 4 years