Technology Features & Specifications
Typically, the calorimetric testing of battery cells is based on measuring systems that are designed for specific battery cells. A full encapsulation is often chosen to achieve the required calorimetric, metrological accuracy and to limit any damage arising from cell failure. These special, battery-specific designs are quite expensive, adding to the costs in the event of "thermal runaway".
The technology on offer uses a modular system of almost identical assemblies which allows high-precision calorimetric measurements in a simple modular construction that is scalable for different battery sizes, and is particularly suitable for prismatic or pouch cells.
With a low-cost design, there is little financial loss if 'thermal runaway' occurs on a defective battery cell. In addition, as the surface size of the usual battery cells is variable, the modules allow for easy scaling of the surface area with an almost identical design. Different design sizes are covered without the need to purchase a new measuring device, and any loss due to 'thermal runaway' can be compensated by quickly reassembling a module set.
This technology is versatile and is suitable to derive calorimetric measurements in the following areas:
- Development phase of new module designs and of new battery materials in order to detect weaknesses in the design
- Quality assurance of random samples from ongoing production
The benefits of this system include the following:
- Easily adaptable to different battery module sizes
- Highly accurate, enabling high precision in thermal measurement
- Low cost due to identical scalable parts
- Especially suitable for prismatic and pouch cells
- Suitable for use in the lifecycle of battery development, from new module designs as well as new battery materials, and quality assurance, to detect weaknesses in the design
- Easy scalability due to modular format