Technology Features & Specifications
The technology comes in the form of an additive that is customised to the specific polymer, application and requirements. The additive can then be homogeneously blended (~3%) directly with the main material/plastic (~97%) to deliver antimicrobial functions, without affecting the bulk plastic properties.
It can deliver antimicrobial performance of Log3 (99.9%) reduction up to Log7(99.99999%) reduction, tested according to ISO 22196/ JIS Z2801 (gram positive S. aureus and gram negative E.coli).
The technology also does not rely on silver, heavy metal, triclosan, quaternary ammonium compounds, and does not require migration of active compounds for the antimicrobial activity. It does not involve a coating.
The novel additive can be customised to be incorporated into a broad spectrum of plastics such as PE, PP, PS, EPS, TPU, TPE, ABS and other engineering plastics.
Due to its biocompatible, food safe and intrinsic (no migration of active compounds) nature, it can be used in a variety of applications including:
- Food contact applications – e.g. food packaging, shelf-life extension
- Piping industry – drainpipe, water supply pipes
- Medical applications
- Mould prevention, anti-clogging
- Antimicrobial function does not require leaching/migration of active compounds
- No leaching to contaminate the environment
- Functionality will not reduce over time
- Biocompatible and non-toxic
- No silver compounds or heavy metal ions.
- No triclosan or quaternary ammonium salts
- No nanoparticles