Technology Features & Specifications
The technology consists of a coating platform technology that can be customised and formulated according to the application.
As the technology is 100% derived from food by-products, it too may improve the sustainability aspect of the coated end-product.
In general, the developed coating has the following features:
- Spray on coating
- Anti -microbial
- Odourless and flavourless
Potential applications may include:
- Coatings for produce (fruits and vegetables) for increased shelf-life
- Coatings on non-produce dried food products for extended shelf-life
- Coatings for food to prevent Salmonella and cross-contamination
- Coatings to prevent browning of sliced fruits
- Coatings for non-food surfaces for anti-microbial activity
Market Trends and Opportunities
The global market of edible films and coatings is now ranging around 2,2 billion USD and is expecting a strong increase, with a CAGR of 8,34%. At the moment, there is strong demand from consolidated food firms to improve their products, especially on the topics of shelf-life and clean label ingredients, therefore the market for this kind of products is a high-potential one.
- Improved shelf-life of produce and non-produce food products comparable to what is guaranteed by existing synthetic coatings
- Able to extend post-harvest life of climacteric fruits by 50-100%
- Improved food safety
- Anti-microbial and anti-fungal properties may help reduce harmful pathogens and cross-contamination
- Coating developed is edible, food grade
- Preservation of food product’s flavour and odour while extending shelf-life
- Sustainable technology with raw compounds derived from produce by-products