Technology Features & Specifications
The technology provider is the proprietary owner of a BMS circuit, software and process. The new BMS CPU is interfaced with the existing BMS to control the normal charging / discharging operations. It is capable to access battery health information from the existing battery BMS, and recalibrate the full charge capacity for each cells in the refurbished battery pack, so that it can deliver the correct rated power. The full charge capacity is an estimate of the battery's state of health (SOH) based on proprietary software loaded in the BMS CPU. The technology provider and their partner have worked with more than 3000 types of BMS / batteries to date. The battery refurbishing process consists of the following steps:
- Dismantle old battery packs
- Test cells for state of health, internal resistance, self-discharge, voltage, current, etc
- Replace degraded cells (<50% SOH) with new cells
- Repack batteries in existing casing with BMS circuit
- Recalibrate full charge capacity data
Refurbished batteries are estimated to be up to 30% cheaper than buying new batteries.
The battery recycling and refreshing technology is applicable for small and micro e-mobility devices such as wheelchairs, e-bikes and e-scooters, electric devices, robots, laptops, tablets, power tools, drones and more manufactured by Japanese and South Korean companies.
Market Trends and Opportunities
Demand for battery refresh or recycling continues to increase significantly. According to a report by Reports and Data (US) in 2019, the world market cap for all battery recycling is 4B USD in 2019. The market for this technology's targets is 1B USD, which is estimated to be 4B USD in 2026. The current target market is battery refreshing for smaller e-mobility (drones, e-scooters, e-bikes, wheelchairs), electric devices (tools, PC), robots, and more with plans to apply Machine Learning and IoT in the know-how in the long term to make the technology more efficient and scalable.
The benefits of the technology include:
- Special know-how to unlock BMS data and readjust the full charge capacity data
- More than 30% cheaper than buying new batteries
- Batteries may be refurbished with warranty even after original battery manufacturers finish their support
- Batteries may be refurbished as many times as the original BMS can be reused
- Save precious metals and reduce greenhouse gases