Technology Features & Specifications
This technology consists of:
• Betavoltaic (a device that generates electric charge using beta radiation). It is made from diamond that has a near 100% charge collection efficiency. Making it a near-perfect material for this application. Unlike traditional betavoltaics, this could be used in high power application (e.g. smartphones, electric vehicles, etc.) since it has an integrated nano-structure that boosts its power. 1 kg of the device has an energy density of up to 39478 kWh/l which is 56966 times more energy dense than Li-ion batteries.
• Graphene supercapacitor (as storage space for the charge produced). It uses the Nobel prize winning material graphene as electrodes that increases the charge capacity.
• Printed circuit board (that controls the charge generated). It allows the charge stored in the supercapacitor to provide additional power when needed.
• Diamond shield (that makes it extremely safe). It contains all forms of radiation from the battery and keeps the consumer completely safe in terms of radiation, thermal and mechanical. In addition, it is extremely tamperproof since it is made from diamond the hardest material in existence.
Application is in almost anything that uses a battery. For this reason, it could cover most markets. Some examples are:
- Electronics (e.g. smartphones, laptops, virtual reality, etc.)
- Automotive companies (e.g. electric vehicles battery, heads-up-display, self-driving, etc.)
- Space electronics (e.g. satellites, space station, spacesuits, space exploration drones, etc.)
- Military (e.g. portable electronics, security, life-support, communication, etc.)
- Internet of Things (e.g. smart homes, virtual assistant, artificial intelligence, etc.)
- Medical (e.g. pacemakers, prosthetics, lab-on-a-chip, etc.)
- Aviation (e.g. black box, drones, electric aircraft, etc.)
- Nuclear power stations (e.g. nuclear waste recycling, waste radiation energy harvesting, etc.)
- Any other applications that use a battery
Market Trends and Opportunities
There is an ever-growing market for electronics especially in the consumer electronics market (such as smartphones, laptops, etc.). However, one of the most important recent trends is the sudden increase in demand for electric vehicles. After the Paris Agreement, governments around the world are working towards greater sales of electric vehicles. A market that is a natural fit for our batteries, driving up the demand for our innovation.
Another trend is the supply shortage of cobalt, a crucial component of Li-ion batteries. Almost all current rechargeable batteries are Li-ion. However, they all rely on cobalt, a material which the greatest reserve is in Congo. For this reason, cobalt is considered to be a conflict material by many. In addition, the price of cobalt is projected to increase substantially due to the increased demand. Much in the same way that indium did to make touch screens for smartphones. Since our battery solution does not contain any cobalt it is a conflict-free battery solution that is not affected by the supply shortage of its raw material.
Current batteries such as Li-ion batteries, even those that are state-of-the-art has a significant shortfall. They need recharging, one common example is smartphones. They are useful but they run out of charge very often, requiring recharge on a daily basis. The battery that uses this this technology however has all the energy required preloaded in the device. In fact, the nuclear core of the device has enough material to last for 28,000 years. The batteries therefore bring benefits to the customers by relieving them of the inconvenience of the battery running out.
At the same time, customers will benefit from it being made from recycled nuclear waste in the form of clean environment and lower storage cost. The average user will be able to live in a cleaner environment with less nuclear waste.
Currently, over US$100 billion is being used globally to store nuclear waste and by recycling the nuclear waste. Thus, by reducing the amount of nuclear waste that needs to be stored, it will lower costs.